GENDER IDENTITY GLOSSARY
Terms and Conditions
By submitting a definition, video and/or other content or material related to gender identity (a
“Submission”) to Refinery29 (“Refinery29”, “we” or “us”) you agree to be bound by these Terms and
1. SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS. You understand and agree that your Submission must comply
with the following guidelines and restrictions, and you further understand and agree that Refinery29
may, in its sole discretion, reject and refuse to use, display or publish any content submitted by you
for any reason at all, including if your Submission fails to comply with the following:
Guidelines and Restrictions: Your Submission may not contain any content that Refinery29 in its sole discretion, determines:
- is sexually explicit; unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic; contains nudity;
- promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of these items); promotes any activities that may appear to be unsafe or dangerous; promotes any particular political agenda or message;
- is obscene or offensive; endorses any form of hate or hate group; copies or appears to duplicate any other Submissions;
- defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
- misrepresents your identity or is otherwise inaccurate;
- contains trademarks, logos, or trade dress owned by others, without permission; contains any personal identification (other than your own), such as personal names, e-mail addresses or street addresses;
- contains copyrighted materials owned by others (including photographs, sculptures, paintings, and other works of art or images published on or in websites, television, movies or other media), without permission;
- contains materials embodying the names, likenesses, voices, or other identifying indicia of any person, including, without limitation, celebrities or other public or private figures, living or dead, without permission;
- contains look-alikes of celebrities or other public or private figures, living or dead;
- communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images or good will to which we wish to associate; or
- violates any law, rule or regulation or any intellectual property right, privacy right or other proprietary right of any third party.
2. SUBMISSION RIGHTS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND REPRESENTATIONS. Refinery29 reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to suspend or cease accepting Submissions, and to modify the manner or method in which Submissions are submitted, at any time for any reason. You understand and agree that the selection of Submissions for publication, in whole or in part, is at Refinery29’s sole discretion, and Refinery29 is under no obligation to publish any submissions at all, or to notify you of whether your Submission is selected or not, or the reasons any particular Submission is selected for publication (or not). You further understand and agree that your Submission may be edited by Refinery29, and that even if your Submission is selected to be published, Refinery29 may cease the distribution and publication of your Submission without notice to you at any time for any reason, in its sole discretion.
If your Submission contains any material or elements that are not owned or authored by you, or which are subject to the rights of third parties, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to providing us with the Submission, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the use and publication of the Submission by Refinery29 in the manner set forth in these Terms and Conditions, including, without limitation, name and likeness permissions from any person who appears in or is identifiable in the Submission.
You understand and agree that upon submission to Refinery29 of a Submission, you hereby grant Refinery29 an exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, fully transferable and sublicensable, right and license to use, reproduce, display, distribute, publicly perform, transmit, modify, create derivative works of and otherwise fully exploit such Submission, in whole or in part, in any and all media now or hereafter known. You further understand that this license includes your name, voice, photograph/video, image or likeness (“Name and Likenesses”) as well as the Name and Likenesses of any other person depicted in your Submission.
3. LIABILITY. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU AGREE TO RELEASE, INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS REFINERY29, ITS SPONSORS, ADVERTISERS, AND VENDORS AND THEIR RESPECTIVE PARENT COMPANIES, SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, PARTNERS, REPRESENTATIVES, AGENTS, SUCCESSORS, ASSIGNS, EMPLOYEES, SHAREHOLDERS, OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS (COLLECTIVELY, “RELEASED PARTIES”), FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL LOSSES, LIABILITIES, EXPENSES, DAMAGES, INJURIES, HARM AND COSTS (COLLECTIVELY, “LOSSES”), ARISING OUT OF YOUR SUBMISSION OR THE PUBLICATION OR DISTRIBUTION OF SUCH SUBMISSION AS CONTEMPLATED IN THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOSSES ARISING FROM THE FAILURE OF YOUR SUBMISSION TO COMPLY WITH THE GUIDELINES AND RESTRICTIONS LISTED ABOVE, YOUR BREACH OF ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY, AND LOSSES ARISING FROM CLAIMS BASED ON PUBLICITY RIGHTS, DEFAMATION, INVASION OF PRIVACY, COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT, TRADEMARK INFRINGEMENT OR ANY OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY-RELATED CAUSE OF ACTION.
You understand and agree that the Released Parties are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your Submission by anyone else. Refinery29 does not guarantee or make any representation regarding the selection or publication of any Submission nor about the content, accuracy or completeness of third party submissions published by Refinery29. Released Parties are not responsible for lost, damaged, or incomplete Submissions caused by the submission process, technology, tampering or any other reason. Released Parties are also not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the submission process or subsequent publication.